Sunday, April 16, 2006

Positive Visualization Strategies for MCAT Preparation

This article comes from my very own pre-med advisor, Nancy Stiller, at the University of Arizona. The MCAT is coming up in just a few days and I think this is something everyone should read. With all the studying that pre-med students do, it is easy to forget that is takes more than knowledge of facts to do well. The visualization strategies in this article are really terrific, and will help to supplement all the ridiculous amounts of studying everyone has been doing. Thanks Nancy!

Positive Visualization Strategies for MCAT Preparation

By:
Nancy J. Stiller, Ph.D
Assistant Director, University College and Coordinator,
Pre-Health Professions Advising Center
The University of Arizona

The MCAT is fast approaching. During these past months, you spent long hours reviewing processes, pathways, and principles. You took practice tests and unlocked some of the mystery surrounding test question design. You are prepared for the intellectual challenge, but are you prepared for the mental challenge? “Positive visualization” can help you answer in the affirmative. Here’s the story about how I learned about this strategy.

I started my career in the 1970’s as a high school teacher and girls’ basketball coach in Massachusetts. There were some terrific athletes on my teams and we were lucky enough to win two consecutive New England Prep School Basketball tournaments. Some players went on to play college basketball while I became very interested in the psychology behind the success. I learned about a process called, “positive visualization” and wondered if it could help my players with their one weakness -- free throw shooting. Although those players were regional champions, they weren’t very good free throw shooters. During practices, I assessed shooting technique, made corrections, and tried to simulate a “game-like” atmosphere so they could learn to shoot under pressure, but nothing worked. Our foul shooting statistics remained unimpressive and I feared that, someday, because of this weakness, we would be on the losing end of a close game.

One afternoon, I was helping a player work on her foul shooting technique. She stood at the foul line, bounced the ball three times, took a deep breath, and mumbled, “I’m a lousy free throw shooter.” A light bulb went off in my head and I realized that her shooting technique was fine, but she, quite simply, was carrying out her “self fulfilling prophesy.” I called the team to the sideline and gave them “homework.” Every night, before nodding off to sleep, they were to spend five minutes visualizing themselves at the foul line. They were to think about and visualize themselves in uniform with people cheering in the stands. The game is tied with no time remaining and they are at the line. As I said these words, they collectively groaned and someone said, “… no time remaining!” “That’s the problem,” I said. “You tell yourself that you can’t do it. Your thoughts are negative. I want you to replace that negative thinking with positive self-talk.” Their puzzled looks told me that they were wondering whether or not the stress was getting to me, but I asked them to try it. The next day, I began practice with another team meeting. I asked them if they had done the “homework.” Many had dutifully complied with my request, but they were clearly not convinced of visualization’s benefits. The foul shooting part of practice seemed to go a little better, that day, and … yes … our foul shooting percentage in games began to rise. They all became believers!

My own career interests turned in the direction of counseling and advising college students and, in the years to come, I continued to use visualization strategies to help students deal with challenges such as final exams and standardized tests. So, give visualization a try. Here are some steps to take:
  • Get in a comfortable place such as your couch, a favorite chair, or bed.
  • Close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Concentrate on your breathing until you feel relaxed.
  • Now, create a picture in your mind. It’s the morning of the MCAT. You wake up before your alarm goes off. Picture yourself in your usual morning routine … what do you decide to wear? What game-day meal will you eat? You look in the mirror and tell yourself that you have prepared well for this day. You tell yourself that you’re ready. Picture yourself arriving at the test site. You find your seat and follow the test administrator’s directions. You take a deep breath and tell yourself that you will read each question carefully. You will successfully use the strategies you learned in your preparation.Wait!You hit a snag … a tricky question. You close your eyes for a second, take a breath, and recall the positive visualization you created every evening during the time leading up to the test. You open your eyes and tackle the problem. You feel confident.
  • Repeat this positive visualization, each evening.

Mental preparation is important. Positive visualization will not remove all of the stress of taking the MCAT, but it will help you relax and do your best. You can do it!

No comments: